To keep your baby fresh and clean, it is not necessary to bathe every day. You can use the warm water to wipe the whole body thoroughly every day. This is usually termed ‘topping and tailing’. You must choose a time that makes your baby awake and comfortable. You should make sure that the room is completely warm. You must get the whole thing set before placing them in the bathing area. You would require a basin full of warm water, a towel, cotton wool balls, best body wash for baby, a changing diaper and if needed, clean clothes.
Steps to wash your newborn´s body
You might find the following step-by-step method beneficial
- You should hold your baby on your knee or just make them to lay on a changing mat. Gently remove all their clothes, except their singlet and nappy, and slowly wrap them in a towel.
- You must wet the soft cloth in the warm water and also check that it does not become too soggy. Use this wet cloth to wipe tenderly throughout your baby’s eyes from the inner edge to the outer edge. You must use a soft cloth for each eye. This is followed in such a way to make sure that you do not carry any stickiness or infection from one eye to another eye.
- You should wipe each nostril of your newborn gently to get rid of mucus. Sometimes the cotton buds will get stuck inside of your baby’s nostril, so make it slowly and gently. This could eventually end up in damaging the lining portion of the nose and provoke bleeding.
- You should use a pure cotton to wipe behind and around your baby’s ears, do not try to rub inside the ears. Make sure that you do not attempt to clean inner part of your baby’s ears, sometimes it will harm your baby’s ears.
- You must wash the remaining parts of your baby’s face that are under the chin, neck, and hands in the same method and completely dry them lightly with the towel.
- You must take off the nappy and clean your baby’s bottom and genital parts with clean cotton wool and lukewarm water. You must dry it very thoroughly and you should also clean the parts that include the skin folds. Now, it is time to put on a fresh nappy.
- It would surely help your baby to ease if you speak. Always try to sing and smile when you wash them. Make sure that your baby is comfortable to take up the bath.
Bathing Tips to be followed
Newborns only necessitate a bath about two or three times a week, but if your baby likes it, you can also bathe them daily. Do not bathe your baby right after feeding it or when they are feeling hungry or tired. It is an excellent idea to bath a baby at the day end. This would help to fix up a bedtime habit. You must make sure that the room is warm. You must take everything you want in your hands such as warm water in a tub, baby body wash, soft cloth, baby wash, shampoo, fresh diaper, fresh clothes, as well as a washcloth.
- You should set up a non-slip bath mat on the floor and another one in the bath. You must make sure that you have everything which you want to hand. You must turn off your phone because you would be most probably being distracted.
- The water should be in a lukewarm condition and not hot. You can maintain the water temperature around 37 to 38°C. You must turn the water off and check the temperature. You should mix the water well so there are no hot patches. You can fill the bathtub about 8cm.
- You should hold your baby on your knee and then gently clean their faces.
- You must lower your baby tenderly into the bowl or bathtub. You must hold their upper arm using your hand while supporting their head and shoulders with another hand.
- If your baby seems to be scared of bathing and screams, you must try to bath together. You must make sure that the water is not too hot. It is more comfortable if someone else handles your baby when you go in and out of the bathtub.